Does immigration status matter in landing a faculty position?

Jobs After PhD Forums Life and jobs after PhD Does immigration status matter in landing a faculty position?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Admin
    Keymaster

While candidates are not judged based on their immigration status but if you need an H1B to start your job, you might be removed from the list as acquiring H1B requires time for the department. Departments would like to hire you while you are on your OPT or OPT extension and apply for H1B after one semester. As academic institutions are capped exempt, you will most probably get your H1B without any problem.

hr.sanei
    Keymaster

In many of applications, applicants have to answer these two infamous questions.

1. Are you legally allowed to work in the united states?
    2. Do you now or in future require sponsorship from school?

I have also seen a lot of department heads personally reseach out to candidates to ask these two questions. The rule of thumb is that, smaller schools do not want to go through trouble of sponsoring you and prefer candiates with valid status.

My recommendation to my international applicant is to apply for Green Card through EB1 or EB2-NIW to enahnce your chances in getting jobs in both academia and industry.

c.ur.tbal.c.h202.2
    Participant

I have been dreaming for. This kind of detailed information on this site is one of a kind and appreciated and is going to assist my friends at work in our studies quite often. It seems like all of the members here has a significant amount of info concerning this and the other links and types of info like wise show it. I am not on the internet most of the time although when I get a chance I am always avidly searching for this sort of factual information or others closely related to it. When you get a chance, check out at my site: [url=https://bioscienceadvising.com/writing-editing-estimate]exploring the detailed world of scholarly research manuscript writing[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.